The existing interchange of I-70 at Meadow Road/Old National Pike/MD 144 was constructed in 1985 and at that time development near the partial interchange did not warrant full movements. Current safety, mobility and traffic operation issues are caused by circuitous travel patterns required for local motorists that are destined to and from I-70 west due to the lack of full access at this interchange. The addition of the missing interchange ramp movements from eastbound I‑70 to MD 144 and from Meadow Road to westbound I-70 will alleviate these issues.
To address safety, mobility and operational deficiencies and to better accommodate future growth, improvements are being installed at this interchange under two phased projects. The current interim improvement project provides the following as shown in yellow on the graphic:
- Installation of a one-lane directional ramp from Meadow Road to westbound I-70 adjacent to the existing loop ramp from westbound I-70 to Meadow Road/MD 144 in the north quadrant of the interchange, along with associated intersection improvements at the ramp termini at Meadow Road.
- Realignment of the existing westbound I-70 loop ramp to reposition all movements to the intersection with Meadow Road.
- Widening of Meadow Road from two lanes to three lanes from the westbound I-70 ramps to Old National Pike.
- Installation of a traffic control signal at the intersection of Meadow Road and Old National Pike.
- A possible slip ramp from southbound Old National Pike to the former loop ramp to westbound MD 144 southwest of the I-70 bridges.
The second phase of the project includes installation of the following improvements as shown in blue on the graphic:
- Widening of Meadow Road from three lanes to four lanes from the westbound I-70 ramps to Old National Pike.
- Installation of a one-lane directional ramp from eastbound I-70 to MD 144 in the west quadrant of the interchange, along with associated intersection improvements at the ramp termini at MD 144/Old National Pike. The ramp widens to two lanes as it approaches the intersection.
- Relocation of the existing three-legged intersection of MD 144 and Old National Pike to a four-legged signalized intersection to include the new ramp from eastbound I-70.
- Widening of Old National Pike from two lanes to four lanes from Meadow Road to the intersection with the new ramp from eastbound I-70.
These improvements will increase local motorists’ safety, mobility and operation that are destined to and from I‑70, west of the interchange. The proposed improvements will not adversely affect I-70 operations.